Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Is Oscar’s Mind on Iraq?

The 79th Annual Academy Award nominations were announced Tuesday morning. Among the ranks of the block buster smashes of “Babal” and “The Departed” were two special documentaries on Iraq. Both “Iraq in Fragments” and “My Country, My Country” were nominated for best documentary feature. I had the opportunity to talk to the director of “Iraq in Fragments”, James Longley, and interview the director of “My Country, My Country”, Laura Poitras, for EPIC’s the Ground Truth Project.

Both documentaries will have quite a bit of competition in their category. Other films nominated for best documentary feature include "Deliver Us from Evil," about the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church; Jesus Camp," about a summer camp for evangelical Christians, and "An Inconvenient Truth," about global warming. All I know is that on February 25, while watching the Academy Awards, my mind will be on Iraq and let’s hope Oscar’s is too. And the Oscar goes to……

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics