Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Country, My Country

I am sure that by now many of you have heard about the documentary “My Country, My Country” that is currently airing on PBS’ POV. The film offers a glimpse into the lives of Dr. Riyahd, a candidate for the Iraqi Islamic Party, and his family in the turbulent run-up to Iraq's landmark January 2005 elections. During the eight months it took to complete the documentary, the director/camerawoman/soundwoman Laura Poitras lived alone in Iraq, threatened by kidnappings and violent attacks on a daily basis.

If you want to learn more about her experience filming in one of the most violent neighborhoods in Iraq and her thoughts on the current situation, I recommend reading the interview we recently conducted with her. Today, she also participated in an on-line discussion for the Washington Post. You can read the transcript here.

Also wanted to thank everyone that came out to our screening of “My Country, My Country” this past Monday and of course Laura for coming all the way down from New York to discuss her film with us. We hope to host like events in the near future.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics