The coordinator will:
- Develop and implement U.S. policies, coordinate federal functions, and address the protection, resettlement, and assistance needs of Iraqi refugees and displaced persons
- Monitor the development and implementation of assistance strategies to countries in the Middle East hosting Iraqi refugees
- ensure that the President's budget requests to Congress are sufficient to meet the needs of such persons, including providing assistance for international efforts on behalf of such persons
- Serve as principal liaison with the government of Iraq and the international community and organizations that are assisting such persons
- Ensure that the U.S. government will encourage refugee returns only when conditions permit safe and voluntary returns
We commend Chairman Howard L. Berman (D-CA) on his leadership, and the 10 cosponsors for supporting this important measure. It may be referred to another committee before reaching the floor of the House for a vote.
Photo Caption: House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Howard Berman of California listens as ranking member Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida makes an opening statement during recent markup hearing of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.